Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The (Spi)ritual

It seems that many Christian theists today are closet dualists. Protestants, in particular, often ignore or downplay the role of the material self when it comes to worship and devotion. Sola Fide and Sola Gratia, the Reformation's cures for the so-called "works-obsessed" Catholic argument have, whether consciously or unconsciously, enforced the old dualist split between the material self and the soul.

If salvation is the product of "faith alone"--that is to say a faith primarily located in the heart and mind of the subjective self--then emphasize is of course placed on the interior life. We do not know the hearts of our fellow believers, the Protestant claims, and so we cannot gauge their level of devotion. Discipline is an entirely internal struggle--even the seemingly physical act of fasting is in reality a symbolic representation of an interior desire. Much like the the memorial understanding of Holy Communion or the Protestant's non-sacramental take on baptism, the ritual acts of personal spiritual discipline are merely outward manifestations of the interior desire. Primacy in all of these examples is given to the subjective interior and the material aspects become secondary.

For the mystic, however, the material self is much more privileged. The traditional Catholic concept of sacraments is one of material devotion--the acts and ceremonies are not signs and symbols but are actual channels of divine grace. The Protestant eats the bread and sips the cup to commemorate the Savior's great gift. The Catholic approaches the table knowing that the transubstantiated host is the real presence of God. By partaking of the Eucharist, the Catholic is ingesting a measure of grace.

Mystics take the sacramental view and apply its anti-dualist argument to other aspects of life. Spiritual discipline becomes a type of physical training. It was not for nothing that St. Paul talked of beating his flesh into submission. The mystic sees that even the mundane can carry internal spiritual repercussions.

As an omnologist, I am inclined to apply the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis to this discussion. Language, the two sociolinguists maintain, informs culture and culture informs language. This dialogic model is very useful. Our culture is embedded in our linguistic registry and, to a lesser degree, in our grammar itself. Our language, in turn, shapes our culture through our verbalizing of values and mores. Similarly, there is a dialogic aspect of the soul and the body. St. Paul discusses the flesh, the body, and the soul. The body is a neutral ground while the flesh is sinful. He seems to have not been a textbook dualist. He was aware that the body is malleable and can be shaped to the soul's benefit or its detriment.

We know from neuroscience and the increasingly biological turn of psychology that the chemical aspects of our brain greatly influence (or, according to some, dictate) our emotional responses. In other words, there exists a chemical bridge between the physiological brain and the socio-spiritual mind. Depression, anxiety, joy, and pain can be caused by imbalances or neuro defect. We must factor this into our understanding of the soul.

It was popular, about a decade ago, for Christian teenagers to be taught that their souls resided in a fallen "earth suit" and that their physiologies were not their true selves. The rational mind cannot except such pat dualism. We know it is more nuanced than that. We know that regular exercise will release endorphins that will make us happier. We know that getting the right amount of vitamin D form direct sunlight can stave off depression. We are told that certain foods (e.g., Omega 3 and Omega 9 fatty acids) can do wonderful things for cholesterol levels AND our brain functions. Our material selves are a very real part of who we are. Our characters are dependent on their biological nature.

It is not too much of a stretch, then, to see how an informed holism will greatly alter our perception of spiritual discipline. Many, alongside Dan Brown, openly mock the "ignorance" of men who mortify their flesh for spiritual ends. I am not prescribing flagellation or the wearing of a cilice, but we know that acts of mortification release endorphins. Some claim that the endorphins elevate the consciousness so that the individual is receptive to the spiritual. Before we dismiss the spiritual as a mere drug-trip (or dismiss mortification as "cheating"), however, we would do well to remember that the excited state brought on in the contemporary Christian worship setting does exactly the same thing. Different, perhaps, in degree but not at all different in kind.

A very real aspect of worship is its socio-psycho-chemical effect. Whether you prepare your heart for worship through a meditative state, through a rousing praise chorus, or by applying the whip, you are manipulating your body into a receptive spiritual state and thus you are proving the holistic/mystic argument. I do not see the chemical response to worship as a demystification of religion. On the contrary, I see the social and chemical utility of these rituals as evidence of the functionality of devotion. We worship in ways that make sense to our social and biological selves.

A major aspect of contemporary Christian worship is what Nieztche (in a very different setting) referred to as the Dionysian. In The Birth of Tragedy he describes the Greeks as dissolving their "principium individuationis" into the intoxicating frenzy of the communal. Whether or not the Greeks were actually Dionysian is not really the point--Nietzche is using the concept primarily to make an assessment of Modernity. It may well be the case that today's church has incorporated the drums and primal rhythms of the "Dionysian" because it is expressly a Modern church, but I think it is more accurate to say that the "Dionysian" has always played a part in corporate religious worship. It is not wrong of the church to "pull peoples' heart strings" through music. The book of Psalms is quite clear on the validity of music to channel the heart into worship. We Christians need to embrace this concept--though we would do well to alter its name from the pagan root.

The division between science and religion causes people to see the release of endorphins or the psycho-social aspects of the "Dionysian" as explanations for the so-called "religious social phenomenon." It is not the presence of the divine, they say, but merely the snapping of synapses, the excitation of the amygdala, and what sociologists call "groupthink" that causes people to feel a connection to deeper mysteries. In Civilization and Its Discontents Freud responds to a man who tried to explain the "oceanic feeling" that brings people to religion in terms of social phenomena. Freud's response was that he himself had never had such an epiphanic moment of perception. But Freud notwithstanding, humans in the main do feel this oceanic response. This is why we have so many religions. They can't all be True, but they can all be socially meaningful to the particular groups. They are, after all, the narrative framing of socio-biological aspects of life.

We cannot demonstrate the primacy of one faith using experiential testimony. For every Christian who claims a healing we will find a Muslim who claims an exorcism or a Hindu who claims prophecy. I am not by any stretch a universalist. In fact I am likely one of the most narrow-minded of Catholic exclusionists you'll come across. My point is not that experiential testimony is de facto invalid. I believe the power of the mind and even the power of the supernatural can bring about these miraculous events but that does not mean that their source is necessarily The Father. This is one of the reasons, albeit one of the minor reasons, that I left the Reformation fold and have come to Rome. Much of my faith had been based on what I felt or what others told me they'd felt or seen. Why should I privilege their testimony or my own when there are so many "true believers" out there whose faiths are different and (often) at odds with my own?

The Protestant obsession with subjective experience will not allow him to prove his faith in a way that can trump another's faith. If, however, one has a teleological view of history, the case can be made for the legitimacy of Christianity. In other words, the historic facts of the matter can show the probability of the religion's accuracy. This process is hindered, however, by the average Protestant's unwillingness to ascribe ultimate meaning to the external (e.g., to "tradition") and relying instead on the experiential knowledge inside him. But if the faith IS true then it can be proved through historic evidence. We do a disservice when we make the bible purely symbolic and apply our revisionist lens to it. The problem with liberal Christianity (on both sides of Luther) is that too many believers feel that belief ultimately comes down to subjective faith and that no appeal to objective reality (i.e. the historic evidence) will make much of a difference. The reason I am a Christian at all is not because I "feel it in my heart" so much as the preponderance of evidence compels me to believe. I am a Christian for the same reason I am a sociologist, a determinist, or a cultural materialist--I have justified, warranted belief in the concrete reality of things that is not contingent on how I feel about it.

Lest we stray too far from the topic at hand, let us return to mysticism. Fasting, for instance, is not an act of symbolism whereby we demonstrate to God that we hunger more for spiritual food than for physical nourishment. No! Fasting is the conditioning of the body into a receptive state through the avoidance of food. We change our physical constitution and thus we raise our perception out of the mundane and find ourselves in moments of spiritual clarity. We fast as Christians for the same reason we fast under a physician's instructions--to prepare ourselves and to return to a sense of spiritual and biological balance. The early church prayed multiple times a day (including in the middle of the night) not only to seek God but to train themselves into vigilance and to make the habit of the ritual shape their larger consciousness. Does Sola Fide have room for the social power of habit-formation? Perhaps, but it is not stressed in the same way that the Catholics stress it in their concept of physical faith, i.e. "works Christianity." One of my reasons for choosing Rome is that the belief system accounts for the physical self in a better, nuanced way. My Protestant background taught me to see the body as either a hindrance or an enemy but never as an instrument of worship... no, that pride of place was reserved solely for the spirit trapped in the earth suit.

The mystic trains his body.
The mystic trains his soul.
Between the two he sees no clear division.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Wow, a lot I agree with there and a lot I disagree with -- and no time to elaborate on either now...

Armchair Omnologist said...

To potentially pre-empt any misunderstanding, let me stress that my views on Protestantism are shaped by my time spent in Charismatic and (later) Baptist circles (though certainly with dialogue with adherants of other traditions).

I will admit that I may slip into overgeneralizations from time to time... and of the intricacies of other Protestant traditions I am rather ignorant. My overall gist is not that Protestants discount the body, per se, but they do not view it in the same light as the Catholic mystic--namely as an object to be trained (through material devotion). No matter how you slice it, the Catholic sacramental view definately places material reality in a different setting. While I may not have the same take on that setting as my Roman brothers, I think that my view does not contradict Catholic teaching.

One point where I foresee some friction is my equating of music worship to the Dionysian or, by extension, to drug abuse. I find that the drug angle is the common rebuttal. Allow me to say that while I will support natural environmental stimuli--music, incense, meditative silence, etc.--to get into the a proper frame of mind, I do not support the use of foreign substances that violate the Natural Law ethic upon which much of Catholic philosophy is based.

Having worked with Protestant Christian youth in a music worship setting, I tend to think that the social phenomena that I witnessed (the raising of hands, the crying, the swaying, etc.) could be explained EITHER by the presence of the divine in their lives OR by the social phenomenon I refer to as the Dionysian. This "rock-concert" explanation would account for the utter lack of transformation we saw after "the music faded." For this, and for other reasons, I am suspicious of experiental testimony as proof of religious validity.

My jab at Protestants near the end is not directed at the contributors of your website, for you seem to engage your faith on all levels. It is aimed, instead, at the countless number of laity--both Proto and Catho-- I have encountered for whom religion is ONLY a subjective interiority and whose faith is not evident beyond the Sunday pew.

I greatly enjoy these debates and look forward to your thoughts, on this forum or another. I am happy to have found Bweinh. If only half of the Catholics I know were as committed as you guys...

Steve said...

Okay, I'm back and I have 20 minutes before class.

It may be that Protestants have failed to truly appreciate Paul's exhortation and example to beat one's body and make it a slave, insofar as that involves putting actual physical manifestation to, for instance, the goal of overcoming sin. Instructions to flee youthful lusts, escape from temptation, and cast off an eye or hand that continually leads us into sin all point to an understanding of the spiritual world that centers in some way on the training of the flesh.

But I wonder whether a faith that exists outside the "heart and mind of the subjective self" looks like REALLY, because I don't know that we are capable of achieving a faith of the body that doesn't originate in the mind. This need not mean an overemphasis on the subjective, but I'm just not sure how one can make a distinction between parts of our consciousness that are almost inherently unquantifiable.

It is because, as you say, that we understand the interconnectedness of the whole body, that I both agree with an informed holistic view of faith, but also wonder how exactly it would differ, in belief and practice, from the pseudo-dualism you identify. Would you argue it's simply impossible apart from a faith tradition that stresses physical sacraments?

I very much agree with your discussion of worship and the affects on the body, especially the explanation you gave afterward. "Manipulating your body into a receptive spiritual state" sounds scarier and more disturbing than it ought, perhaps. It is what we are called to do, after all, as we "worship in ways that make sense to our social and biological selves."

And from there, I think we largely agree as well, although I think experiential testimony does its have value as God can and will provide miracles as a witness to the Gospel; He promises as much in the Word. But even if it were not possible to decide between the competing experiential claims of 'true believers,' it's not (as you say) necessary, because of the evidence for our faith. And there we could not possibly agree more, especially in this paragraph, with my own particular positions in the place of 'sociologist,' et al.:

"The problem with liberal Christianity (on both sides of Luther) is that too many believers feel that belief ultimately comes down to subjective faith and that no appeal to objective reality (i.e. the historic evidence) will make much of a difference. The reason I am a Christian at all is not because I 'feel it in my heart' so much as the preponderance of evidence compels me to believe. I am a Christian for the same reason I am a sociologist, a determinist, or a cultural materialist--I have justified, warranted belief in the concrete reality of things that is not contingent on how I feel about it."

Couldn't fasting be valuable both as an act of symbolism and physical conditioning?

Anyway, I have little to no experience with Catholic practice, and even less with one who takes his faith so seriously, so I find it very interesting to read your opinions, and join in your concern about those "for whom religion is ONLY a subjective interiority and whose faith is not evident beyond the Sunday pew."

I now must go without re-reading my post, so I fear it will be a bit muddled.

Have you written a book? I think the contents of this post could easily fill a few hundred pages.

Armchair Omnologist said...

Your comments helped fuel my next post and so I have taken the liberty of quoting you directly. Perhaps the reason that you agree with me on much of this stuff is because I entered Catholicism having had an intellectually active, truth-seeking Protestant mentality (and, indeed, I held some of these beliefs before coming to the RC church). Maybe my vestigial Protestantism resonates with you. As an adult convert, my reasons for becoming Catholic are much different from the average. Most communicants see their faith as an inheritance and thus they never seek to understand what they do/believe. As a grown-up (and an intellectual) I have the unique opportunity to embrace the catechism with a critical eye. That, coupled with a deep sense of loyalty and a respect for church authority, often make for zealous former-Protestants (just look at Cardinal Newman). As to whether or not I have published--that remains to be seen. I have little time... my non-academic, non-religious white collar job eats up much of my week and I have other pieces that are closer to publication than these musings. Eventually, though, I'd like to publish some kind of devotional/sociological text. I style myself an armchair omnologist, however, because my views have come to me piecemeal from other disciplines and I lack classical training in most of the fields that I fancy.